1934 Jan 30 - "Maeil Sinbo" - Article on Ulleungdo

Notice that the map with the article shows Ulleungdo divided into three districts: Buk-myeon (北面 - North District); Nam-myeon (南面 - South District), and Seo-myeon (西面 - West District). The article is entitled "鬱陵島란 엇더한 곳인가" and is located on the Library of Korea Web site.


1694 Sep - "Record of Ulleungdo Mission" (蔚陵島事蹟)

The following is a translation of the "Record of the Ulleungdo Mission" (蔚陵島事蹟), which was a record of the 1694 inspection mission of Jang Han-sang" (張漢相) to the Korean island of Ulleungdo (鬱陵島).

Inspector Jang was sent to Ulleungdo to survey the island and map it, responding to a Japanese claim that the island was named "Takeshima" (竹島) and belonged to Japan. A Korean named An Yong-bok (安龍福) and others had been found fishing on the island in 1693 by Japanese fishermen who believed the island to belong to Japan. An Yong-bok and one other was captured and taken to Japan as proof that Koreans were illegally fishing on the island. Mr. An was returned to Korean by way of the Japanese island of Tsushima, upon which the Japanese asked Korea to make sure that Koreans no longer encroached on their territory, "Takeshima."

Koreans believed Japan's Takeshima was their Ulleungdo and sent Inspector Jang Han-sang to confirm it. In his report, translated below, Inspection Jang mentioned seeing an small island 5 ri (2 km) off the east shore of Ulleungdo that had "haejang bamboo" (海長竹田) growing thickly on it. (See this 1711 Inspector's Map of Ulleungdo,  shows an island off Ulleungdo's east shore that is labeled "the so-called Usando, groves of haejang bamboo" (所謂 于山島 - 海長竹田). The small island was almost certainly Ulleungdo's neighboring island of Jukdo (竹島), which is two kilometers off Ulleungdo's east shore and has haejang bamboo growing on it.

Inspector Jang also reported looking toward the east and seeing an unnamed, distance island to the east-southeast that he judged to be about 300 ri (120 km) away and only about 1/3 the size of Ulleungdo. The distant island he saw was almost certainly Liancourt Rocks, which is about 90 kilometers to the southeast of Ulleungdo. In the conclusion of this report, Inspector Jang said he had looked toward Japanese territory (toward the east) and had seen no islands of significance ("no eye-pulling islands), which suggested he not only considered an island only 1/3 the size of Ulleungdo to be insignificant, but also that he believed it to be part of Japanese territory.

Record of the Ulleungdo Mission
In September 1694, Jang Han-sang, the Samcheok Commander in Gangwon Province, reported by horse messenger that Ulleungdo had been inspected. At sometime between 9:00 and 11:00 AM on September 19th, ships set sail from Samcheok-bu’s wind-waiting place (待風所) at Jang-o-ri Landing (荘五里津) in Nam-myeon. According to an earlier horse messenger report, Military Official Yu Jae-gwa (有在果) and Translator An Shin-mi (別遣譯官安慎微) led 150 laborers, oarsmen and soldiers totaling 150 men in two ships and four water-supply boats. The men were allocated according to the size of each ship. They decided to set sail when westerly winds picked up at the time mentioned above.

With this plan they departed between 7:00 and 9:00 PM but when they met with huge waves and thus had no option but to sail into the wave crests that were about five ri away. But the boats slammed into the waves and broke formation and then were not to be seen. Between 11:00 PM and 1:00 AM on the 20th of September, they gradually entered the deep ocean. Black clouds rolled in from the North making the sky overcast with lightning. Shadows were cast across the waves. Suddenly it poured rain in buckets and the winds blew fiercely. Violent waves towered toward the sky and it was as if the clouds and sea became mixed together as one. The boats were repeatedly swallowed by the waves only to surface again. The danger was beyond comprehension. The people on the boats were petrified with fear and being thrown about. To make matters worse, the helm was damaged and thus the boat couldn't be controlled.

 We barely managed to keep the boat from capsizing by putting the oars to the stern, port and starboard sides of the boat but we could have overturned at any time. Finally, the winds and rain subsided and the sky cleared. To the North an island (Ulleungdo) was to be seen but the ocean currents ran toward the East. The people in the boat tried to stay focused and kept the bow pointed toward the island with all their might. Between 9;00 and 11:00 AM using all of our strength we arrived at the corner of many rocks on the South side of the island (Ulleungdo) for mooring. We landed on the island (Ullengdo) for a short while and were cooking rice when the four water supply boats were sighted approaching slowly in the distance. However, the supply boats were nowhere to be seen. Between 5:00 and 7:00 PM from the southern ocean, the boats arrived and all the boats could avoid disaster. But there was no place to anchor on the southern shore, so we stayed at the entrance of a valley on the southeast on (September) 20th

to October 3rd. For the duration of our stay, it rained all the time without sunshine. There were alternating periods of heavy snow and (sleet?) About half-way up the central peak (Seong-In Bong) there was one ja (30cms?) of snow. Sailing around the shoreline of the island, (Ulleungdo) there were numerous overlapping cliffs and they were so high they seemed to soar toward the sky. Between the gaps of the rocks on the hills, run little streams from the valleys. The streams and brooks flowing from between the rocks run incessantly as if they wouldn’t cease even during times of severe drought. It took as many as two days to circumnavigate around the island (Ulleungdo) but we came to learn the circumference is only 150 to 160 ri. On the southern beach there was a bamboo grove and a field once used for farming. About 5 ri away to the East from there was an island which was not that big with a lot of haejang bamboo growing on one side.

 On a day when the rain stopped and the fog lifted, we climbed Seong-In Bong (Mountain) and saw two peaks, one to the North the other to the South facing each other and towering to the sky. We then learned they are “Sambong”. Looking toward the West, we could see (Korea’s) Dae-Gwal Yeong mountain range on the horizon. Toward the East, in the middle of the ocean, an island was vaguely visible to the east-southeast (辰方). It is not quite one third the size of Ulleungdo and only 300 ri away. We traveled about 20 ri to the North and about 40 ri back down to the South and looked toward the West again still the distance looked the same. At this very location, looking straight toward the West, there were three households in the middle of a big valley and two more houses nearby. In a long valley to the southeast, were also seven houses and nineteen stone burial tombs.

Between these rocks to the southeast of where we were anchored, there was only enough space to moor about four or five boats and no place to cover our boats. Looking around we saw three grain sacks and three cooking pots not those of our (Korean) kind which are different. The rice cooking pots have neither legs nor lids but could be used for cooking and had a capacity of two mal (measurement) of rice. The grain sacks are one cheok (measurement) in diameter and about 2 cheok deep with a capacity 4 or 5 tong. The brook from the big valley to the West forms a large stream. The surroundings are open, therefore this could be the best region to moor boats. However, though the boats could avoid southeasterly winds they were still exposed to winds from the West. Even so, this place seems suitable because there was a cooking pot and some rice where we first moored our boats.

At the foot of this mountain we found a potter’s wheel which was not from our country either. On Ulleungdo Island there are layers of overlapping mountains and from halfway up to the mountain tops there is nothing but jagged rocks, and below is covered in soil. The terrain was very rough. Because the valley was deep and huge trees were blocking the sunlight it was impossible to guess how long it had been since people had visited this place. Due to the tangled vines, rotten grass and trees densely wrapped around each other, there is no possible way to for man pass through. The valley was so narrow we couldn’t go to its end. The trees growing in this place are Camellia, Thuja, Hwang-Byeok, Kalopanax, Geum-mok, Gwae-Mok, Yu-mok, Mulberry, and Maple.

Among the trees the most common one is dongjadan (a kind of sandalwood). Pine trees jikmok, hazel trees, oak trees etc., were not to be seen. As for winged animals, seagulls were the only kind and cats were the only wild animals. No other winged or wild animals were to be seen. There were no people living there and no edible fruit to be seen. As for marine animals, octopus [the author was almost certainly referring to sea lions rather than octopus] were the only kind to be found and there were tens or even hundreds of them. They had burrowed holes and lived in colonies where there are piles of rocks at the seaside. The large octopus were about the size of a pony or calf the smaller around the size of a small dog or pig. Sometimes live abalone were to be found attached to small rocks by the seashore they were small and didn’t taste well. Surrounding an inlet, boards used for boats were floating on the surface of the water here and there. Some boards had steel nails and others had wooden nails in them. Other boards were already rotten and looking closely they were made of cho-mok (wood).

This (wood) was no different from ours but it was already broken into pieces and most of it was floating below the southeastern cliff. At three locations on southeastern ridges there were the most dense bamboo fields. Here and there we noticed some locations for planting about 30 seok of crops. However, two bamboo fields of them had a lot of plants cut down. About one thousand of these bamboo trees could be seen piled up along the perimeter. Some of them had already been dried and others were still not. About 50 ri toward the bamboo field from the valley between the East and South extends a path which must have been made by bamboo carriers. In general, every mountain we reached on the island was impressive. All around cliffs soar toward the sky and between separate precipices run streams. Just one location on the West ridge has a large stream at the entrance. However, it (the stream) did not form a bay and thus made it difficult to moor because there were deposits of sand and gravel.

Amid this, the peaks soar irregularly and the valley is windy so there was not open land. But there was enough space to lay a straw mat. Around the once inhabited low-lying mountains and flat valley some stone burial tombs could be seen here and there with grave bushes growing nearby. Probably because the island stands in the middle of the three thousand ri ocean, boats could not travel at will and therefore even if that country (Japan) had taken it over forcefully, they could not have been stopped. It appears when they tried to construct an iron fort they could not have resided there anyway. Even reclaimable land was thickly crowded with trees and choked with vines. On top of that, even in September there were banks of snow and it was colder than the winter. The middle of the night came and the cold winds blew.

In one way the wind sounded like a child crying or perhaps a woman weeping. So the loud noise rang in our ears sometimes very shrilly or gently moaning in the distance. This ship’s bow that can be seen nearby looks like an ogre that is said to spread ocean poison using magic spells. Sometimes sounds similar to a shell horns, cannons or drums used to summon soldiers for border defense could be heard and then would disappear again. While circumnavigating the island, we arrived at this place when the evening came. We moored and got off the boat and walked on the sandy beach to cook rice next to a large rock. On the way, something was vaguely seen in the distance, so with An Shin Mi, we walked about three ri and found the jagged middle peak extending. All around the foot of the mountain, were overlapping rocks and cliffs and wide open area was to be seen in the distance. Looking in that direction, along the way, a path led toward a stone cave halfway up the mountain. With An Shin Mi.

We discussed if there were poisonous creatures which could harm us in that cave and if we should moor the boat somewhere else. After 11:00 P.M. and 1:00 A.M. it started pouring rain and there were unyielding waves. Lightning stuck the mountain reached echoed with thunder the ocean seemed churned violently and then after a while was totally calm. Fog rolled in around the island (Ulleungdo) the red sky disappeared and from the distance the stirring noise of people came from the stone cave. While shouting and looking toward the cave from the bow of the boat, a bright lamplight was seen. The next day, after eating a meal, we moored somewhere else to look into the peculiar place (cave) we saw the night before. Then we told Officer Bak Chung Jeong to take about 20 soldiers and look into the place. They were in the cave for some time and had still come out, so we became concerned that there might be a trap. So we called to make everyone come out and Bak Chung Jeong walked out in front. About 30 paces inside the cave lies a wide opening and in that place were four levels of eaves.

There were about ten rooms of stone levels that are smooth with jade ornaments the last room is decorated with many different colours. Looking at its decoration, it’s quite different from the manner and shape in which can be commonly seen in our country. Nothing else was to been seen, getting closer under the eaves, a smell like sulfur or rotting meat burned the nose therefore it was said we couldn’t go further. Another official took about 60 soldiers and they walked inside themselves and confirmed what Bak Chung Jeong said. At the top of the dwelling vines wrapped around and amid the inside of the tiered was very calm and clean even dust was not to be found. Thus, it didn’t appear to be a place where people lived.

Although I knew I should enter this place, to clear any doubts I still didn’t dare get close under the tiers. On the day coming back on the boat, from Chung Bong (Seong In Mountain) Mountain, clouds and fog were gradually pushed away toward the ocean. Some mysterious object as big as a hill (or mountain name) surfaced and submerged several times and then vanished. In the mountain winds howled and rain poured. The mountain was shaken as if it were about to crumble by a sound unlike thunder. With regard to what features Ulleungdo has apart from other islands. Bamboo fields are everywhere, there are four thousand of these places that are similar to the one mentioned above. Small ones (fields) had about 20 Seok Rak Ji (unit of measurement) and large ones with about 30 Seok Rak Ji. All of them had a source that could provide the fields with water. Of the trees, Red Sandalwood could be used as gwanal but they are all located between rocks on the mountainside. 

Judging from this place still intact, once resided by ancient people, it appears it became vacant only about 100 years ago. There is an entrance to the valley, at the stream and upon looking for a strategy to drive away the enemy, this could be a place where one person could defeat a hundred men. Their boats (Japanese) can’t be grouped together for an extended time. Also if there are any strong winds or waves, even maintaining the boats would be difficult. Climbing on top of the (Ulleungdo’s Seong In Mountain) mountain and looking closely toward their (Japan’s) country, it is dark and distant, and there were no islands of significance; thus, the distance to their country (Japan) cannot be determined. The topography of the island (Ulleungdo) is like a rice cooking pot placed between us (Korea) and them (Japan) and the paths for carrying bamboo were probably made by their people (Japanese), I suppose. So I report this promptly, (names and date follow).
之間古昔人民居基地完然未泯則其為空棄不過百餘年之前溪有洞口若慮寇之策則一夫當百夫之地彼船難欲乆為結船而風浪若開則船必不保之勢登島山峰審望彼國之域則杳茫無眼杓之島其遠近未知幾許而地形似在扵彼我間鼎釜取竹之路彼人所為緑由馳報狀. 壬寅春外後裔永陽申光璞書


The 18th column “Seeking Truth Based Solely on Facts(実事求是)”

Below is a translation of The 18th column “Seeking Truth Based Solely on Facts(実事求是)” by Prof. Shimojo Masao
"Absurd and Peculiar Theory of Prof. Hosaka, plus the "Children and textbook nationwide net 21" and others' Getting "Out of Control.” "

The commemorative ceremony of "Takeshima Day" marked fourth year in 2009. At the same time, the movement of people who blindly sympathize with Korea's claim became outspoken, too. On February 21, in Tokyo, with the backup of the South Korea's North Eastern Asian History Foundation that is the government agency in South Korea, Japan and South Korea's "cooperative" symposium was held by "Children and textbook nationwide net 21". Addition to this, the publication commemoration lecture of the Prof. Emeritus Naito, who kept criticizing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and symposiums were held in the same Matsue city on that day of the ceremony of "Takeshima Day".

In addition, on 23, Korea's JoongAng Daily put the interview of Mr. Hosaka Yuji of General Insitute of Dokdo, 世宗 university. In the article, titled "Look at this map, Japan, Who's territory is this Dokdo? ", they declared that Usando in in two Korean old maps ("海東輿地図" (early 19C) and "海左全図"(mid 19C)) are today's Takeshima(Liancourt Rocks/Dokdo) .

According to Mr. Hosaka, though Japan has claimed that Jukdo, which locates 2 km away east of Ulleungdo, was Usando, Usando in two Korean old maps ("海東輿地図" and "海左全図") has mountain peak described, so Usando must be Dokdo/Takeshima , not Jukdo, which is a plain island and shouldn't be described as having mountain peaks.

However, that is extremely absurd and peculiar claim. Mountain peaks on Usando in those maps are coloured in green, a same colour of Ulleungdo. So, it is impossible to
determine that those Usandos are Dokdo/Takeshima, which is simply rocky reefs without any green trees. Besides, Usaodos in those maps are drawn as one islands, but Takeshima consists of two islands, Male(West) island and Female(East) island, and Japanese had already recognized it as two islets even in early Edo era , when Takeshima was correctly described as two islets in many maps like "Genroku Map " or "Kyoho Map".

Mr. Hosaka claims Usandos, which are described as sole island, are today's Takeshima, but actually, Usando on Korean maps started to be described as Jukdo through Joseon official inspection of Ulleungdo by 朴錫昌 in 1711. Bak put a note "所謂于山島" on Jukdo, and both "海東輿地図" and "海左全図" in concern also fo
llow it. The proof of this is "欝陵島外図" by Lee 李奎遠, who went to Ulleungdo for official inspection in 1882. "竹島(Jukdo)", a small island described on "欝陵島外図", is apparently a small island, noted as "所謂于山島"by Bak in his "欝陵島図形". The island was started to be called as "竹島(Jukdo)"when Kitazawa Masanari concluded Jukdo as "竹島" in his 1881 book "Takeshima Kohsho(竹島考証)" and "Takeshima Hanzu Shozokuko(竹島版図所属考)" based on the survey of Ulleungdo by Japanese Warship Amagi. It is clear that Usando on Korean maps are Jukdo after 1711. Still, South Korea keeps insisting obstinately that Usando is today's Takeshima, based on the sentence of "東国文献備考"(1770), "輿地志云 鬱陵 于山 皆于山國地 于山則倭所謂松島也 ("Yojiji" says that Ulleung and Usan are all Usanguk. Usan is so-called Japanese Matsushima. )", quoting "Yojiji(輿地志)." However, the wording quoted from "Yojiji" was fabrication by posterity, hence it can't be any evidence of Usando being Matsushima(today's Takeshima). Because the original "Yojiji" says "一説干山 鬱陵 本一島 地方百里( It is said that Usan and Ulleung were originally one island with an area of 100 ri) ",meaning Usando was Ulleungdo, but it never mentions any "Matsushima" at all.

On February last year, Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs published "10 Issues of Takeshima" and pointed this fabrication of quotation. Prof, Emeritus Naito Seichu, who keeps criticizing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, only assumed it to be a different opinion, failing to provide any evidence which proves today's Takeshima was Korean territory. "Children and textbook nationwide net 21" followed Naito's groundless claim blindly and dare to hold "symposium"prior to Shimane's "Takeshima Day". What was their purpose? Besides, this "symposium"was funded by South Korea's governmental organization. The historical title is critical in territorial dispute. But it doesn't mean one can distort the historical facts and look down on Japan intentionally. A certain, historical grounds are necessary for the discussion about the territorial issue.

Below are "海東輿地図" and "海左全図" which are published in South Korea's JoongAng Daily. On Usando which locates east of Ulleungdo, mountain peaks are drawn and coloured
in green just like Joseon peninsula and Ulleungdo. It is impossible to define this island as today's Takeshima, which has no trees at all.

“実事求是 〜日韓のトゲ、竹島問題を考える〜 第18回 荒唐無稽な保坂教授の珍説と「子どもと教科書全国ネット21」等の暴走 下條正男”

Courtesy of Web Takeshima Research Center.

The 24th column “South Korean Government dug their own grave by publishing the English version of "The Dokdo/Takeshima Controversy" by Prof. Emeritus Naito Seichu and Mr. Park Byeong-seop.”

The 23rd column " Refutation against the report of South Korean Yonhap News Agency which misread the Mori Kohan(森幸安)'s "The Map of Tsushima(對馬輿地図)"

The 22th column “ Refutation against "The Meiji Government's recognition of Takeshima=Dokdo" by Mr. Park Byeong-seop(朴炳渉)””, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

The 21st column " Refutation against "Analysis of Shimojo Masao's Editorials" by Mr. Park Byeong-seop(朴炳渉)”

The 20th column “Act of Folly by "Northeast Asian History Foundation"”

The 19th column “"Korea Maritime Institute(KMI : 韓国海洋水産開発院), who lacks ability to read their own historical documents, criticized on Shimane Prefecture. "”

The 18th columnAbsurd and Peculiar Theory of Prof. Hosaka, plus the "Children and textbook nationwide net 21" and others' Getting "Out of Control.”

The 17th column “The Ordinance of Prime Minister and Cabinet Office, No.24 and the Ordinance of the Ministry of Finance, No.4 in 1951(昭和26年).

The 16th column ""Dokdo Month" without any historical grounds."

The 15th column " South Korea's Groundless Claim of "Inherent Part of (Korean) Territory"

The 14th column “A reckless Courage of the Professor Kimishima Kazuhiko(君島和彦) of Tokyo Gakugei University(東京学芸大学).

The 13th column “Sins of Asahi Shimbun and Mr. Wakamiya Yoshibumi(若宮啓文).

The 12th column “Northeast Asian History Foundation and Dokdo Research Center's Misunderstanding”

The 11th column “South Korea's Misunderstanding of 'A Map of Three Adjoining Countries (Sangoku Setsujozu 三国接壌図)' by Hayashi Shihei(林子平)”

The 10th column " A Blunder of Sokdo(石島) = Dokto(独島) Theory

The 9th column "Criticism on Dokdo Research Center”

The 8th column “The Historical Facts" The 6th column “Onshu-shicho-goki (隠州視聴合記)" and the "Nihon Yochi Totei Zenzu (日本輿地路程全図)" by Nagakubo Sekisui(長久保赤水)"

The 5th column “South Korea’s erroneous interpretation of the document 'Takeshima and Another Island are Unrelated to Japan"

The 4th column “Errors in Educational Video Produced by the Northeast Asian History Foundation (東北アジア歴史財団)."

References :

Another Ridiculous Claim from Hosaka Yuji

일본이여 이 지도를 봐라, 독도가 어디 땅인지(Korean)

「于山島が独島」…19世紀の「海東輿地図」を分析(Japanese) (cache)

1656 - "Yojiji (輿地志)" by Ryu Hyung-won (柳馨遠) didn't say "Usan is so-called Japanese Matsushima."

Mid 17th century - Illustrative Map of Matsushima (松嶋絵図) by Murakawa Clan

1696c.a. - "Illustrative Map of Takeshima submitted by Kotani Ihei(小谷伊兵衛より差出候竹嶋之絵図)"

1711 - Bak Chang-seok's (朴昌錫) Map of Ulleungdo (鬱陵島圖形)

2008 - "10 Issues of Takeshima" by MOFA

Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs English [PDF] /Japanese [PDF] /Korean [PDF] )